Italian Cream Cake

A friend sent me this scratch recipe and asked me to make it for her birthday. It's a fantastic recipe, and I wanted to have it transferred from the hand written form I have it in now. Sean has requested this for his birthday cake twice now!

1/2 cup soft butter
1/2 cup oil
2 cups sugar
5 eggs, SEPARATED
7 ounces of coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla

Combine the oil, butter, and sugar. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time. Dissolve the baking soda in to the buttermilk, allow it to sit for a few minutes and grow in size. Alternately add flour and buttermilk mixture in your mixer.
In a seperate bowl, beat the egg whites until they are frothy, not stiff. Fold egg whites in to batter with a spoon or spatula, (not mixer). Fold in 3/4 of the coconut and nuts.

Pour into 2 greased -9 inch pans and bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes, depending on your oven.
Prepare the icing.

After ten minutes out of the oven, allow your cake to cool, wrapped in cellophane for 5-8 hours before icing.



Cream Cheese Icing
1 stick or 1/2 cup of butter
8 ounces of cream cheese
1 lb of powdered sugar
milk to add for consistency

Mix these ingredients until smooth. The milk will need to be added if it is a dry day. You don't want your icing to be too stiff.

Ice cake and cover with remaining coconut and nuts.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm. I've only had Italian Cream Cake one other time. It was when we were trying to figure out what kind of cake my mom was going to make for my wedding. This was my vote too but in the end we ended up doing something different. I don't remember why now. Anyway, I loved it then and I can't wait to try it again.

    ReplyDelete