Salmon Cakes

Here is the surprise of the century- my family LOVED these. Another hit from Melissa D'Arabian. My kids won't usually eat stuff like this, but it looked easy enough and not expensive, so I decided to try it out. Even Jeff, who's personal mantra is "Fish are friends, not food", said they were "SO GOOD!". Shocking.
I used the smaller cans of Wild Salmon, because they were labeled boneless and skinless. I really didn't want to have to pick through the other stuff and pull bones out. Eeeww. I just stuck my potato in the microwave for 8 minutes with a cup of water in there. Faster. I topped off the cakes with some lemon juice.
I served these with orzo and a veggie. A meal for under $10.

2 strips bacon, cooked until crispy, crumbled, bacon fat reserved
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 egg
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 lemon, zested
1 (14-ounce) can wild salmon, checked for large bones
1 baked or boiled russet potato, peeled, and fluffed with a fork
1/4 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Directions
Heat 1 tablespoon of the reserved bacon fat in a small saute pan over low heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Cool the onions for a bit.

Mix the bacon, onion, egg, mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, and lemon zest in a bowl. Add the salmon and potato, mixing gently after each addition. Form the mixture into 12 small patties. In a shallow dish, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, and pepper, to taste. Coat the patties in the bread crumb topping. Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat, and cook the salmon cakes in batches until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Add more oil, as necessary. Arrange on a serving platter and serve.

1 comment:

  1. Yum, these look really good, too, and I'm not usually a salmon lover!

    ReplyDelete