Banana Sour Cream Pancakes

Over the past few months, I have been making more of an effort to cook/bake from scratch.  I finally tried this recipe from Barefoot Contessa the other night (after a few pancake flops) and I can honestly say, I will not be making pancakes from a mix ever again.  They were so delicious and filling;  we were still talking about how amazing they were hours later.  I did make a few without the bananas, and I can't wait to try them with blueberries!

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
2 extra-large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (I left this out)
Unsalted butter
2 ripe bananas, diced, plus extra for serving
Pure maple syrup

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together the sour cream, milk, eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, mixing only until combined.

Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat until it bubbles.* Ladle the pancake batter into the pan. Distribute a rounded tablespoon of bananas on each pancake. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbles appear on top and the underside is nicely browned. Flip the pancakes and then cook for another minute, until browned. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel, add more butter to the pan, and continue cooking pancakes until all the batter is used. Serve with sliced bananas, butter, and maple syrup.

*I used an electric griddle and didn't bother to grease it and they came out perfect;  make sure you do wipe the griddle down between batches though, so the banana that is left behind doesn't keep cooking!

5 comments:

  1. Did this recipe have the nutrition facts listed with it? I'm curious what the carbs/serving is (to see if it fits with my diabetic diet). It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made 'em for dinner tonight. They were SO good--totally lived up to your hype.;) I doubled the recipe and it made enough for my family of 4 growing boys to all eat enough to be full with a couple left over. Definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked the texture of these. I will definitely double the recipe next time. I made these with omelets, and everyone did seem to be full, but I think they would have eaten more if I had them. I used blueberries because that is what I had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really funny, Jill. I just noticed we both had the same thing for dinner! .."Somewhere..out there... the Dunns and Gehens are eating the same kind of pancakes..." Ok, the song doesn't sound quite the same.

    ReplyDelete