Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

Another yummy Pinterest find.  While the directions call for it to be made in a slow cooker, I had no trouble adapting it to the stove top.  Perfect for a rainy autumn day!




4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used leftover rotisserie chicken, shredded)
1 package of Rice-a-Roni long grain and wild rice
1/2 tsp salt (plus more to taste)
1/2 tsp pepper
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup butter
2 cups half and half (I used half milk and half half and half, low-fat :)
1 cup diced carrot
1 cup diced celery



Combine broth, water, carrots, celery, chicken and rice (along with seasoning packet) in a large slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours. Take out chicken and shred with two forks and then add back into slow cooker. In a small bowl combine salt, pepper, and flour. In medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in flour mixture by tablespoon to form a roux. Whisk in cream, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth. Stir cream mixture into slow cooker and then let cook on low for 15 more minutes. 

6 comments:

  1. I really, really liked this soup, and so did my family. I did add a small diced onion as well as more carrots and celery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to add more flavor to your soup (and more calories) then you can add cream to your soup. Soup maker online in India

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really know your stuff... Keep up the good work!
    orgainic arborio rice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for informative post. I am pleased sure this post has helped me save many hours of browsing other similar posts just to find what I was looking for. Just I want to say: Thank you!
    https://www.earthspromiseus.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire what you have done here. I love the part where you say you are doing this to give back but I would assume by all the comments that is working for you as well. Do you have any more info on this?
    orgainic red rice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Subsequently, after spending many hours on the internet at last We have uncovered an individual that definitely does know what they are discussing many thanks a great deal wonderful post.
    how to cook basmati rice

    ReplyDelete