Cinnamon Rolls

I have very happy memories of my mom making these on Christmas morning. Sometimes if I'm feeling too harried on Christmas morning I'll save the task for New Year's Day. I can't think of a better way to start off the new year!

2 cakes yeast (Do they even make cakes of yeast any more? I just use 2 packets or the equivalent thereof).
1 Tablespoon sugar
Warm water to dissolve yeast
1/2 cup Mazola or Wesson oil (I just use Canola or whatever I have)
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
4 to 5 cups flour, sifted

Softened butter
Brown sugar
Cinnamon
Chopped pecans (optional)
Raisins (optional)

Crumble yeast in a cup. Add tablespoon of sugar, Barely cover yeast and sugar with warm water. Scald milk (I just do this in the microwave for a few minutes until a skin forms--very easy). Add oil and sugar. Place into mixing bowl. Add eggs and salt. Mix until smooth; add 2 cups flour. Add yeast mixture. Beat 4-5 minutes on medium speed. Add 2 more cups flour. Knead into mixture with dough hook. Put entire mixture into a large greased bowl. Let rise until doubled in bulk. Divide in half. Roll dough into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle (about 12 inches long). Spread with 1 stick of softened butter, sprinkle liberally with brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll from long side of rectangle into a roll. Mark rolls and cut with thread. Repeat process with other half of dough. Let rise on greased cookie sheets until doubled. Bake at 375 to 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Yield: 24 rolls.

My mom would usually make these with chopped nuts and occasionally with raisins. Both are tasty additions.

No comments:

Post a Comment