Focaccia Bread

I end up making this bread at least once a week to go with our pasta; if you have any left over, it makes a great savory sandwich!

2 cups warm water
2 tsp. active dry Yeast
4 cups bread flour
2 tsp. salt
extra-virgin olive oil (I usually use what I have on hand -- canola or vegetable)
2 stalks fresh rosemary (I use herbes de provence or none at all)
kosher salt to taste
pepper to taste
parmesan or pecorino romano cheese

In a large mixing bowl, mix yeast into warm water, then mix in flour and salt. Blend with a spoon just until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Cover, allowing the dough to rise, for approximately one hour and 15 minutes. Try not to jiggle the bowl excessively.

Brush a baking pan liberally with olive oil. Pour the dough onto the pan, then gently brush the surface of the bread with olive oil. With your fingers, pull small holes throughout the dough.

Strip some rosemary by simply sliding your hand down the herb in the opposite direction. Chop the rosemary to a coarse consistency and sprinkle over dough along with salt, pepper, and cheese. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 15 to 17 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea that e.v.o.o. wasn't a household staple.
    I am lookng forward to trying this one out. I have a TON of rosemary growing and not a lot of recipes that use it.

    ReplyDelete