Tortellini Sausage Bake

Okay, so I didn't really bake this, but I couldn't come up with a catchier name!

1 lb. of Italian sausage
1 pkg. (16 oz.) cheese tortellini (I used frozen)
1 head of broccoli (more or less, according to your tastes)
3 Tbsp. salted butter
2 Tbsp. flour
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
1/4 c. milk
Salt, pepper, parmesan to taste

Pan fry or grill your sausage, boil your tortellini, and steam broccoli -- set aside.  In a large skillet, melt butter, then add flour, salt, and pepper (you are making a basic roux), stirring for a minute or two to keep it from tasting "floury."  Whisk in chicken broth and milk, stirring constantly over medium heat until mixture begins to thicken.  Combine with sliced sausage, pasta, and broccoli, serve with grated parmesan (or my personal preference, Pecorino Romano).

I modified this recipe from one I found here.  It was delicious, but definitely a bit on the heavier side, and did not reheat well.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds tasty! I love pasta dishes--they're great just about any time of year. We'll have to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete